Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cat’s One Piece Wonder, Baby Sweater/Cardigan 3 to 6 months



Cat’s One Piece Wonder, Baby Sweater/Cardigan 3 to 6 months

Below, 2 tone, free pattern here for one piece sweater 0 to 3 months
 Below, size 3 to 6 months
sleeve length, shoulder to cuff, 9 inches, body from collar to bottom edge 11 inches, approx.

This one piece sweater was made by Mary hall, so pretty!

Free matching one piece diaper pattern here
Free pattern, matching one piece wonder bootie here

Introduction:  This one piece sweater/cardigan is worked in one piece beginning at the right front side, then a sleeve, then the back, then another sleeve, then the left front which is made slightly wider than the right, this is for the over flap to button the sweater/cardigan. Then the sides and sleeves are joined, followed by a collar which brings it all in. The sweater/cardigan is reversible if you refer to button up on the opposite side.
The sleeve cuffs are included in the making of the sleeve.
The pattern is quite repetitive so you will get the hang of it in no time, it may be easier to count the dc rows of each panel, right front has 10 panels, sleeves have 19 panels, back has 21 panels, left front has 15 panels.

 This is what it will look like before sewing it up

To fit: 3 to 6 months (0 to 3 months one piece sweater,
pattern)
Hook size: 4.00mm
Yarn: 8 ply approx 150 gm’s
US crochet terms used

Stitches used:
Ch= chain
Sc= single crochet
Trbl= treble crochet
Dc= double crochet
BL= back loop

Special Instructions:
Unless working into a chain, every stitch in this pattern is worked into the back loop of every stitch
The chain 3 to turn is the first dc of every row worked
When working into the chain 3 go into the second chain and not the top of the chain 3, this gives a nice firm bottom edging

To begin ch 48
Remember to work in the back loop of every st unless it is a ch st.

Right Front
Row 1. Work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in next 10 ch, 1 dc in each ch to end (11 sc, 36 dc = 47 st’s) ch 3 and turn (ch 3 is the 1st st of the next row and through out pattern)

Row 2. 1 dc in next 35 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 3. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 36 dc, ch 3 and turn

Row 4. 1 dc in next 35 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Rows 5 to 8. Repeat rows 3 & 4 twice DO NOT BREAK OFF YARN

Right Sleeve: This is where the trbl is made

Row 1. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 trbl  in next 9 dc, ch 22, turn

Row 2. 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in next 4 ch, 1 dc in next 16 ch, 1 dc in next 9 trbl, 1 sc in next 11 sc, (5 sc (cuff), 25 dc, 11 sc, = 41 st’s), ch 1 and turn

Row 3. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 25 dc, 1 sc in next 5 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 4. 1 sc in next 5 sc, 1 dc in next 25 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 5. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 25 dc, 1 sc in next 5 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 6. 1 sc in next 5 sc, 1 dc in next 25 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Rows 7 to 18. Repeat rows 5 and 6 DO NOT BREAK OFF YARN


Back
Row 1. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 trbl in next 9 dc, ch 29, turn

Row 2. 1 dc in 4th ch from hook, 1 dc in next 25 ch, 1 dc in next 9 trbl, 1 sc in next 11 sc ( 36 dc and 11 sc) ch 1 and turn

Row 3. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 36 dc, ch 3 and turn

Row 4. 1 dc in next 35 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 5. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 36 dc, ch 3 and turn

Row 6. 1 dc in next 35 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 7 to 18. Repeat rows 5 and 6, DO NOT BREAK OFF YARN


Left sleeve (is a repeat of right sleeve)
Row 1. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 trbl  in next 9 dc, ch 22, turn

Row 2. 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in next 4 ch, 1 dc in next 16 ch, 1 dc in next 9 trbl, 1 sc in next 11 sc, (5 sc (cuff), 25 dc, 11 sc, = 41 st’s), ch 1 and turn

Row 3. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 25 dc, 1 sc in next 5 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 4. 1 sc in next 5 sc, 1 dc in next 25 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 5. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 25 dc, 1 sc in next 5 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 6. 1 sc in next 5 sc, 1 dc in next 25 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Rows 7 to 18. Repeat rows 5 and 6 DO NOT BREAK OFF YARN


Left Front
Row 1. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 trbl in next 9 dc, ch 29, turn

Row 2. 1 dc in 4th ch from hook, 1 dc in next 25 ch, 1 dc in next 9 trbl, 1 sc in next 11 sc ( 36 dc and 11 sc) ch 1 and turn

Row 3. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 36 dc, ch 3 and turn

Row 4. 1 dc in next 35 dc, 1 sc in next 11 sc, ch 1 and turn

Row 5. 1 sc in next 11 sc, 1 dc in next 36 dc, ch 3 and turn

Row 6 to 11. repeat rows 4 and 5, do not ch 3, now you can break off the yarn.



Putting the one piece together:
Turn your sweater/cardigan inside out, line up the back and side from the bottom, you can sc them together or a simple whip st, I did mine the sc way, make sure each st is matched up and secure them together all the way up to the cuff, repeat for the other side.


The collar: By this stage you will notice that the collar is too wide, so we have to pick up and crochet st’s around the collar.

Row 1.Begin in the top corner of the right front, join yarn with a sl st and make 1 sc in same place, 1 sc in the next space, skip 1 space 1 sc in next all the way around, you will have approx 45 sc, ch 1 and turn ( no need for perfection here a st or 2 out will be fine)
Row 2. *1 sc in next 2 sc, sc next 2 sc together (decrease made), 1 sc in next 2 sc, * repeat from *to* to end, finish off

I had curling of my collar and was concerned it would not come out.

 No curling after the second row of collar :)


You may like to make the collar a row or 2 longer, you can do this with out decreasing.

Now if you haven’t already, get out that needle and sew in loose ends, add buttons to right front, as many that suits you.
Now you can be a little fancy and add some nice picot edging around the sleeves or collar, add a flower or even make it in a two tone color.
More idea's for the one piece

Size difference between 0 to 3 months one piece and 3 to 6 months


Maria

Please visit this page for a larger size, 18 month old.

 QUOTE:
It’s taken me a wee while to complete this version of Cat’s One Piece Wonder baby cardigan in a larger size for my 18 month old daughter.
Basically, I took the measurements off the baby one I made earlier, then increased the number of stitches to match up roughly with one of her current cardigans. Here’s my daughter modelling her new cardigan:


Clares Fantastic Video Tutorial for 0 to 3 months size

Good luck with your one piece sweater/cardigan, I’d love to hear your feed back.
Please do not sell this pattern, please link back to me if you use this pattern, I’d love to see this used for charity, and you can make and sell items from this pattern too.

44 comments:

glor said...

Love this little sweater. Thank you so much for the tutorial/pattern. This will be something I will be looking to do in the near future. Have a lovely day.

Muriel said...

DEAR VICTORIA,
A BIG THANKS FOR THIS TUTORIAL, AND ALL THE EFFORT YOU HAVE PUT TO SHARE WITH US IN SUCH A EASY WAY... GOD BLESS YOU, AND WITH YOUR HELP WE WILL BE ABLE TO DO MORE BEAUTIFUL THING MADE BY HAND WITH LOVE...

Anonymous said...

thank u so much 4 this great pattern , i made the jacket 4 my daughter now i try to crochet a skirt with the same pattern

Anonymous said...

Peggy8650 here,I love your patterns and wondered how I coulr incorporate the one piece sweater pattern for a adult? Iwould like to make one of these aweaters for myself.How would I do this?? ladybeastmaster@yahoo.com

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thank you all, I know a person on face book made it larger, so it is possible, it's all about measurements for the size you would need and using the same method in making this.

Anonymous said...

This is such an easy pattern to make, I just love it. I made it in pink with white trim. It was perfect for my new great-granddaughter. I made the matching booties too,which were so easy and came out the right size for a newborn! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this fantastic pattern!!!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thank you so much for your lovely words anonymous :)

GSK said...

Thank you so much for posting this pattern/tutorial! I have now crocheted about 4 sweaters for my nieces and nephews! it makes a great handmade gift!!
is there a pattern for the booties to be made larger? maybe 3-6months old?

baby sweaters said...

Pretty excellent post! I just stumbled upon your blog page and desired to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog page posts.

baby sweaters said...

Effectively written article. You are a extremely persuasive writer.  I can see this within your post.

baby tricycles said...

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Andy said...

Thanks for the great pattern

Anonymous said...

Great pattern I am wondering if I can crochet in both back & front loops?

cats-rockin-crochet said...

you could try both loops, but the outcome will not be the same, the size will alter and the look will not be as pleasing, cheers Cat :)

Marcia m said...

Love your sweater.
But do you have a 6-9 month pattern? My grand baby was born in Kanuary. Thank you!
Marcia m

cats-rockin-crochet said...

This pattern size may be okay for that size, you could add a couple of dc for the length of the sweater, good luck :) Cheers Cat

Anonymous said...

Is there a pattern for 9 -12 mos. how can I do it or how many dc. Thanks

cats-rockin-crochet said...

perhaps you can make this with a larger hook,I'm sure it would fit then :)

Maria del Valle said...

Lovely, you are so kind, Thanks!!

Joline Yap said...

Hello,

This pattern is so good and your explanation is supper clear to me as beginner, however, i have few questions as below:

1-why the left front has 11 rows which are not even with right front (8rows), if i make both side are same with 11 rows, any problem?

2-i still cant imagine how it works: "I made 8 sc of the cream then 1sc of the pink so I would not have to change the colors on a sc to a dc, thus hiding the color change as much as I could."
what color i should use 1st for 41 chains? then when i finish 8sc of row 1, should i fasten off the yarn and hide away in continuous stitches? i understand that every time we change color, we need to fasten off the yarn and attach in beginning changing color stitch.

i have 2 x 100gr bernat yarn in different color, as you advised approx. 150gr which 1 color is not enough, i plan to combine 2 colors together, since i have question 2, i think to rotate color every 2 rows, then i come with question 1. Can you kindly suggest me which solution i should go for (i have difficulty to get 2nd ball in same color :( haizzz )

Thanks you so much for your great sharing and i'm waiting for your reply asap

Regards,
Vivian from Singapore

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Joline, these questions a very good. Firstly, with the side rows having a different number of rows, this allows for the over flap for buttons, since you do not have enough of the one color do no change this. Secondly, use the contrasting color for the 1st 41 chains (the cream)thirdly, you do not have to tie off the yarn after every row, you can leave the second color attached the whole way through. I suggest you go to you tube and see how this is done. I will find you a link for you. Cheers Cat :)

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Jolie, here is a link for you, joining in yarn whilst doing a sc, there are many more videos to watch that show you how to do this, I suggest watching several of them form different teachers, hope this helps you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ7i21qW2d8

Ms Fee said...

Thank you so much for this easy pattern. I've made a sweater for my 3yr old and she rocked it at school. Now, I have 3 orders for the same one.

mau said...

I have made two sweaters for my friends grandchild and love how fast you can make them. Thank you so much for this pattern. Have the sweaters up on my site on Pinterest.com/maugonzo on things I have done. One was in white and this other one is red.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thank you lovely people, Mau I placed your picture in this post, cheers Cat.

mau said...

So happy I finished the 2nd.sweater it came out so good.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Well done Mau!

Anonymous said...

your sweater is really BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unfortunate no kids :( would it be possible to make that in adult size? I TOTALLY see myself in one sweater like that!!! it's so cool..

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing your talent with us the Baby Sweater/Cardigan is so cute! How can I make this bigger for a 2 year?
Thanks Again
Mary =)

Cathy Wood said...

Mary? gp to this link, she made a size 2 http://celiamakesstuff.wordpress.com/2012/06/10/crochet-toddler-cardigan/#comments

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this pattern. Ready to make my 2nd one in a bigger size for my grandbaby!

Cathy Wood said...

thank you so much :)

Maria gonzalez said...

So again I made another sweater from your pattern so fast and I just loved it.I posted it on my pinterest site.

Cathy Wood said...

Thank you Maria :)

Debbie said...

Dear Cathy
this is the best crocheted sweater I have ever done. I take care of two handicapped children so I get a lot of time to do my stitching. Thank you so much for wonderful and easy and quick pattern.
sincerely ALWAYS-N-STICHES

Cathy Wood said...

Debbie, you are more than welcome, I hope to have many more to come :)

deejay said...

I am posting this to people who have iPads. Cathy very kindly gave us a link for joining new colours. In the case of Cathy's beautiful sweater if you wanted to have the yolk of the sweater a different colour. I went to the link but it wasn't available for devices like iPad. I scouted around and my last try I found an excellent tutorial which seemed to be the answer when working in panels. I found it on Red Heart Videos. "Joining in new yarns and changing colors with Red Heart Yarns" this was the name of it. I couldn't find a link for it. What I suggest you do is Google using the following wording.
"Red Heart Video Joining in new yarns and changing colors with Red Heart Yarns"
I tried it and it took me right to it. The instructor shows how to carry the wool up your work with a good tip.
I think it would be useful to everyone. Hope this helps Dorothy

deejay said...

Hi Cathy, I just finished the cardigan. I didn't have the wool I needed so found a large ball of multi coloured yarn. It took on the most interesting look. I added a picot trim at the neckline and a bit of a flare at the wrist band with picot added. I couldn't match the colours in the sweater so used a cream colour for the trim and it went really well. I'm going to make one in a larger size and hopefully will get the right yarn this time. I just love the pattern. Dorothy
Ps Will get a picture off as soon as I figure out how to use the camera on my iPad and how to upload it. Shouldn't be too hard.

Cathy Wood said...

thank you Deejay, would love to see a picture of it :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, thank you for brill pattern which is popular all over the world now, please can I ask are your stitches American or uk terminology
The pattern is a pleasure to crochet

Cathy Wood said...

lovely of you to say, thank you and
I always use US terms.

Deirdre StLuke said...

This pattern is very adaptable. By adjusting the stitches, I believe any size sweater can be made.

Anonymous said...

Just finished my first sweater and can't wait to start another. Your pattern is the best one I have found. I noticed in your picture that you have a hat to match. Any change that you have the pattern posted for the hat? Would love to make that also.

Cathy Wood said...

I was trying to look for the free pattern that is similar but can't find it, the pattern is not mine, but I remember bevscountry cottage having one, cheers Cathy