Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How Would You Teach A Person To Crochet?

My eldest niece Roslyn came for a long week-end visit. She is from Queensland a good 2 and a half hour plane trip away.
Teach me to crochet Aunty? she asked. Well okay I said.
So how does one begin to teach another to crochet?
Firstly I showed her how to make a slip knot onto the hook and demonstrated how it pulled apart with out knotting, easy part.
I then showed her how to hold her hook and the yarn and expressed how each person finds their own comfort eventually.
Next it was making chains, lots of chains until she felt a little more comfortable.
Then I pulled it all un done and said let's try a chain of 10 and an extra chain for a turning chain, as we are now going to learn how to make a sc into the chain.
Now the chain of 10 plus 1 more chain for turning was easy for her.
In through the 2nd chain from the hook and draw through a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops, we repeated this to the end. Ch 1 to turn, now make a sc in the first sc and in each sc across, good, she had the hang of it. So once again I rip it out and ask her to make it all by her self.
Rip it, rip it, rip it, I said, sounds like a frog and that's why it's known as frogging it. So she is learning some crochet slang too!
Once she was confortable with the sc (by the way she was a fast learner, which made it quite easy for me to teach her) I asked her if she wanted to learn a dc and she said she was ready.
I also told her I was using US crochet terms as they are more popular.
We kept the same piece of work going and I told her to ch 3 to turn, but not to go into the first sc, but into the next sc, as the ch 3 to turn will now become her first st of the row.
Once again she picked this up quick and with comfort.
Do you want to make a scarf? Oh yes, she said.
So I chose some yarn similar to a beret I had given her and she began making her own scarf.
Her she is, in MY chair having fun with her new found hobby.

This is the first row of her scarf.

I asked her to count her dc's every now and again, some time's she had extra but mostly she had less. So a quick lesson of an increase or decrease was necessary. The missing dc's were from the beginning of her row's. So that was soon sorted.

Now shortly after her lesson she had to catch a plane to return home to QLD, so I loaded her up with some nice plastic hooks that she could use on the plane, the steel one's would have been conviscated as a lethal weapon.

I had the time to teach her to crochet in a circle too.

She was also thinking of making her self a blanket/aghan, but I did not have the time to teach her how to make a granny square and I advised her to youtube it for visual lessons and she did! I turned around and here she was on the computer, yelling out "this lady is too fast", "well pause it" I said "or find a better one to learn from" and she did.

So Roslyn has gone home with a new hobby.